To develop the skills of planning and carrying out dives without a partner when preferred or necessary and, to sharpen skills of diving self-reliance, making the diver a stronger partner in a dive pair or team.
Participants must be at least certified as a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver or have a qualifying certification from another recognized training organization. They must have at least 100 logged dives and be at least 18 years of age.
- Surface marker buoy or lift bag with at least 30 metres/100 feet of line on a reel.
- Redundant gas source with at least 13 cf air capacity configured so that the diver can access it with one hand.
- Redundant depth gauges with bottom timers, or dive computers (eg one dive computer and for backup a depth gauge and dive watch, or two dive computers, or two depth gauges with two dive watches).
- Redundant surface signaling devices (both visual and audible such as SMBs, whistles, signaling mirrors).
- Knife/cutting tool, Slate and pencil.
Course Description and Schedule
The course includes up to four hours of classroom instruction and four instructional open water dives over two days. Classroom instruction generally will begin at 8 AM on the first day and continue until approximately noon. At least one dive will take place in the afternoon. This is an advanced dive course with participation limited to four divers per course.
Mr. Kim Glenn first certified to dive at the YMCA in Hong Kong in 1965. He recertified as a PADI Open Water diver in Timor-Leste (also known as East Timor) in 2003. By 2012 he logged over 500 dives, the vast majority of them off the coast of that country. While there he completed specialities in Enriched Air, Wreck, Search and Recovery, and Underwater Photography. He earned his Dive Master certification there in June 1012.
Since June 2013 Glenn has served divers in Monterey waters first as a Dive Master and since September 2013 as an Open Water Scuba Instructor, logging on average over 250 dives per year. He leads dives and crews for several Monterey dive boats. He is an active California Reef Check diver.
$340. Includes air, tanks, and weights for four dives, and PADI certification on successful completion.